Final Product! (sorry for the quality of these photos)
Here's how I created these!
Supplies:
- Unfinished piece of wood (I used mdf board)
- Gel Medium (I found this in the art area of hobby lobby)
- Modge Podge
- Foam Brush
Step 1: Apply the Gel Medium. I used a paintbrush first, don't. Use a foam brush, this will leave less streaks. Apply generously. If you don't apply enough, the ink won't transfer. If you add too much, let it dry longer than overnight.
Step 2: Apply the photo face down. Patience is the key here, you only get 1 chance to lay the photo down as precisely as possible. These photos are 12x24 so it was a little harder to work with. Smaller the photo, easier to do.
Step 3: Let dry overnight. I let mine dry around 48 hrs, I applied a lot of gel medium. This was my second try, I didn't apply enough the first time around, so I wasn't going to risk it again.
Step 4: Using a towel, wet the board, doesn't matter how much.
Step 5: Start rubbing the paper with the wet towel. The paper won't "fall" off, you'll have to apply a bit of pressure but not too much. Let dry and then continue rubbing the paper off, this might take a few times to remove all the paper.
Step 6: I didn't get pictures of this step, sorry I forgot. I used black/white mixed paint to foam brush the edges so they would not have that bare wood look. I also used the paint to 'touch' up any marks on the photo that didn't transfer or scratch marks. I then sanded the pictures where I used the paint.
Step 7: I didn't get pictures of this step, sorry I forgot. Use a wet rag to remove sand/paint from photo and give it that shiny look.
Step 8: Modge Podge the picture while still a bit wet. I did this to capture the shiny finish.
DONE! My husband attached photo hangers to the back of the wood and then hung them. They look amazing! Let me know what you think or if you have any questions or suggestions!



Those are so cool! Looks awesome!
ReplyDelete